Welcome to Our Website
The Campbelltown and Airds Historical Society have been involved, since 1947, in helping preserve the history of the greater Campbelltown area. We are one of the oldest, and most respected historical societies in Australia.
Our region, explored and settled by colonists in the early days of Australia's history, was officially declared "The District of Campbelltown and Airds" by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1820. With names taken from his wife Elizabeth's maiden name, "Campbell", and her family estate in Scotland, "Airds", the region became to a large extent the bread basket of early Sydney. Its' history of exploration, development, growth and expansion are part of the wealth of information we hope to provide you, our visitor with, on this website and others through the links provided within.
We are located in Glenalvon house, described by the National Trust as "exceptional". Classic Georgian Glenalvon, in its heritage gardens, is a Campbelltown landmark. The House is open 1st Monday, 2nd Saturday and 4th Saturday of every month, February to the end of November, 10 am to 1.00 pm, and by appointment.
The links below, and others on this page, lead to further information, and topics of historical interest, enjoy exploring our site.
|About Us||Glenalvon, our home||Glenalvon Tour|
Click on the burst to visit...
The latest News page was up-dated... July 31st, 2016
See the new Gardens of Glenalvon DVD on the Gardens page.. Click here!
A piece of history stands alone.
More? Click below...
Described as one of the “prettiest villas" near Campbelltown
More? Click below..
Learn More? Click below..
Who was this man?
Read More? Click below..